Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sunny? Florida

Yes boys and girls, sports fans of all ages, I am writing this from Florida. Not the warm Miami, Key Westish part but the LA (Lower Alabama) part. True there is plenty of beautiful beach to be had but what good is wearing my speedo if it's under a parka?

This is a short-notice temporary duty (TDY) trip that dropped into my lap last week. This is only the second time I've gone TDY since I started working as a scheduler over 7 years ago. Oddly enough it's to the very same base (Eglin AFB). This time is much different though in that it's to test a software system and not to attend training. The best part is that the Air Force, not my company is paying for it. The good news is I'll get per diem and make some money. The best news is that I'll be able to drive up to Birmingham for the weekend to visit Scott, Suzie and their kids.

I flew here yesterday (Wednesday) and go back to Tucson Saturday the 5th. I will miss some birthdays as my sister Lorna, son Benjamin, and granddaughter Rose all have birthdays 1 FEB. How cool is that? I do get back in time for Melissa's on Sunday.

So far, since I left, the left tail light on the Altima went out and Danny says my car is going chug, chug, chug. How sweet it isn't. Move over Pauline. There is light at the end of the tunnel though. January 2011 will soon be history and we can only hope February will be much better to us.

I did receive quite the tender mercy on my way here though. I didn't notice until just before we left for the airport that I only had 45 minutes between flights in Dallas, making it impossible for me to get some lunch. 10:00 is way too early for me to eat so rather than have Babs make me a sandwich or buy one on the way or at the airport, we decided I could make do with the rice crackers she had bagged for me.

She dropped me off and as I was at the self-service kiosk, an American Airlines guy asked if I was on the 11:35 flight. I said yes an he said it was running late (really?) and if I hurried he could get me on the 10:30 flight. I did and he did so there was plenty of time for me to eat in Dallas. Hope springs eternal...

2 comments:

Lesley said...

How great that scott and suzie are close to visit, and you get to make some money, nice.

Sarah said...

TDY can be very lucrative and that is one of its few redeeming qualities.